Hurricane Preparedness Week: May 9-15
With under a month until the official start of the Atlantic hurricane season, now is the time to get ready for potential storms, as preparation is key to keeping you and your property safe.
National Hurricane Preparedness week, May 9-15, provides a good opportunity to look at your safety plans and make any changes before a storm arrives.
The Atlantic hurricane season begins June 1 and ends Nov. 30, but the season historically peaks between mid-August and mid-October. According to the National Weather Service, the U.S. coastline typically experiences three hurricanes per year, including one major storm with 111 mile-per-hour winds or greater.
Along with high winds, hurricanes can cause flooding and storm surges. If your area is affected by these conditions, planning ahead can potentially save your business and your life.
The 2020 hurricane season was record-breaking, with 30 named storms and 13 hurricanes, six of which made landfall in the United States. The most destructive storm to strike the U.S. in 2020 was Hurricane Laura, which caused 77 deaths and $19 billion in damage.
Forecasters predict another active season for 2021, with the potential for 18 named storms or more and at least three major hurricanes.
Penske offers the following advice to consumers and commercial customers on what to do before a storm arrives:
- Make safety your number one priority.
- Top off your truck fuel tanks.
- Move trucks to higher ground if in a flood-prone area.
- Stay tuned to local news stations for weather reports.
- Adhere to all travel, road advisories and restrictions.
- Delay travel into impacted areas when possible.
- Know your evacuation routes and have a plan.
Important Penske Information
Contact us if you need assistance with your lease or rental units before or after the storm:
- Penske Location and Fuel Finder Tool
- 24/7 Roadside Assistance: 1-800-526-0798
- Consumer Truck Rental Reservations: 1-888-996-5415
- Commercial Truck Rental Reservations: 1-800-736-7531
Penske Facilities Questions
Penske takes steps to ensure continued service, but there are times when delays and closures may be necessary due to travel restrictions, weather conditions, power outages or a state of emergency.
Please call our 24/7 Roadside Assistance team at 1-800-526-0798 to confirm the open or closed status of a Penske facility.
Additional Helpful Resources
- U.S. DOT National Traffic and Road Closures and Advisories by State
- Federal Emergency Management Association (FEMA)
- FEMA Blog – Emergency Updates and Preparedness
- Ready.gov – Hurricane Preparedness
- National Hurricane Center Storm Updates
- American Red Cross Hurricane Tips
By "Move Ahead" Staff