The days and hours before a hurricane arrives are vital for making preparations, including knowing what to do in the event of an evacuation and how to remain safe once the storm hits.
Penske Truck Leasing is offering some tips and resources to help truck fleet operators prepare for a storm and provides resources in the event you need assistance after the storm.
Hurricanes, which form over the water and move inland, may cause high winds, heavy rainfall, storm surges, rip currents, tornadoes, and flooding.
Peak hurricane season occurs from mid-August through mid-October when a majority of the season’s tropical storms and hurricanes occur, according to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
The Department of Homeland Security, through its Ready national public service campaign, has assembled some hurricane preparedness tips for every stage of the storm. It includes evacuation tips, what to include in a disaster supply kit and how to create a family communication plan.
Tips for Penske Consumers and Business Customers
Penske offers the following advice to consumers and business customers on what to do before a storm arrives:
- Make safety your number one priority.
- Top off truck fuel tanks.
- Move trucks to higher ground if in a flood-prone area.
- Stay tuned to local news stations for weather reports.
- Adhere to all travel, road advisories and restrictions.
- Delay travel into impacted areas when possible.
- Know your evacuation routes and have a plan.
- Seal and lock all fuel tank tops.
- Secure outdoor items and clear debris that could become a projectile
- Charge all mobile phone battery packs and ensure you have charging cables.
- Put mobile devices on low-power mode to conserve battery.
- Ensure you have employee contact information and a post-storm follow-up plan to verify the status of each employee.
- Important: If you suspect your vehicle may have been flooded do not start the vehicle. Starting the vehicle may cause significant damage to the emission control system. Contact your local Penske service location or 24/7 Roadside Assistance for guidance.
Important Penske Information
Contact us if you need assistance with your lease or rental units before or after the storm:
- Penske Location and Fuel Finder Tool
- 24/7 Roadside Assistance: 1-800-526-0798
- Consumer Truck Rental Reservations: 1-888-996-5415
- Commercial Truck Rental Reservations: 1-800-736-7531
Penske Facilities Questions
Penske takes steps to ensure continued service, but there are times when delays and closures may be necessary due to travel restrictions, weather conditions, power outages or a state of emergency.
Please call our 24/7 Roadside Assistance team at 1-800-526-0798 to confirm the open or closed status of a Penske facility.